Friday, March 04, 2005

Face like a beetroot!

Man it’s so hot here! I frazzled myself yesterday when we went to a couple of villages to find out numbers of women who would be interested in learning how to make things out of cane. The idea is to try and get people, women especially less dependent on fish. Well, that does seem like a good idea seeing as no one’s got a boat and can’t fish anyway! All the government has promised them is between Rs.10000 (₤125) and Rs. 15000 (₤187.50), that amount will barely cover the cost of a net! Oh, it seems so unfair that what the villagers receive is dependant on how loud they shout. One village was actually promised to have all boats and nets replaced by the government, but because the labourers of the village complained, noon e got anything. You see, the labourers were only labourers as they couldn’t afford boats and nets in the first place. It was suggested that they share boats, but this wasn’t going to happen as the men didn’t want the hindrance of having to work under someone! How stupid – no one ended up with anything!! When the Indian government offers you something you take it, and you take it quick before it’s withdrawn!!

The budget here in India came out a few days ago and Rs. 102.16 bn (US$234 ml) has been promised to tsunami victims. I know what’s going to happen thou, it’s what usually happens in such cases, the government makes it ridiculously hard through extreme bureaucracy for the people most needy to actually get their hands on that money. It seems like a lot, and when you consider how many people have been affected here (sorry tries to search for exact figure, no time now, will fill in later!).

So things with me have been ok. I visited a town about 60km away called Pondicherry as there was nothing really else, well of importance anyway, for me to do. Pondi’s a nice French style town that surprisingly although bigger than Chidambaram is so much quieter. There are actually signs that say no horns!! This is pretty novel in India, where for example in Chidambaram you constantly can hear a horn, or perhaps if you’re lucky there may be as much as a 3 second silence! There wasn’t so much to do there, but it filled my time as all I had was a day. It’s on the coast, so you’d have thought they make use of their coastline, but there’s nothing there. Most people visiting come to “The Mother’s” ashram. I’d tell you a bit about her, but I have no clue, she’s some kind of spiritual guru. Because of this many people come there and to nearby Auroville – a natural loving commune, so there’s a supermarket!! The only thing that was any good to me was drinks thou, and drink powder, but still it can’t be too enjoyed as cold water is hard to get, and ice just isn’t heard of!

I remember saying before how cheap everything is and how I’m struggling to spend my money, well I found that to be a total lie as I took my final Rs.500 note from my stash which I had changed at the airport. In 25 days I’d managed to spend ₤145!! God only knows how as I don’t have much to show for it!! I’m going to have to pull the belt in or else looks like I might be home before the end of the year!

This weekend may prove to be very helpful not only to myself but the organisation. I’m going to be visited by a friend of a friend – a guy called Khrishna. Khrishna works for Aid India, based in Chennai (Madras). After talking to him on the phone CARD and their tsunami relief efforts seem so pathetic! He speaks good English so will be able to ask the villagers questions I really want to know the answers too and can provide much needed help and advice! It’s been nearly a week now that I have been living and working with 2 people that speak no more than 10 English words, and that’s 10 between them by the way! It’s been ok as I’ve immersed myself in a rather good Bill Byrson book, but it’s become a bit tedious! I think actually they talk about me, which is hardly surprising, like when I came back from Pondicherry with bags of shopping, I’d spent more than what they receive for a months salary on things they probably thought were pretty useless or extravagant. A months rent is only ₤25 by the way.

OK, getting kicked out now, better post this before they cut the connection without telling me, as like before!

Will write again Monday.

How do you like the blog!?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the blog is great. I have something like it but it's used more by school-age people like me (not to make me sound that young or you that old hehe)in the the US.
I wouldn't be able to manage to live in an enviroment where no one speaks English...I don't know how you do it. How long do you plan on staying assuming you had enough money?

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home